We envision thriving U.S. cities and regions where public transportation is dramatically expanded, safe, and reliable.
TransitCenter is a foundation that works to secure a more just and sustainable future with abundant public transportation options. We recognize that our current transportation system is contributing to climate change, that transit systems poorly serve many of their riders, and that access to opportunity in the U.S. is deeply inequitable because of unjust, historical barriers based on race, gender, culture, and identity.
We believe that targeted research and effective grassroots advocacy can persuade leaders to make better choices that center both climate and justice outcomes in transportation. Therefore, we make grants, conduct research, and coordinate a national network of local advocates to build a successful movement pushing for bold shifts in transportation funding and strategy.
In recent years, we have:
- Helped grow a national network of transit advocates, through dozens of grants and multiple advocacy convenings.
- Surveyed thousands of transit riders to build our understanding of how people use transit, and commissioned and conducted research into how public agencies can deliver public transportation.
- Hosted workshops with scores of transit board members and staff to enable faster learning within the transit industry.
- Told stories of transit success and failure from around the country through reports, videos, and our blog.
- Led efforts to reform transit in America’s transit capital, New York City, putting bus improvement and subway accessibility on the agenda in new ways.
- Established ourselves as an intellectual hub in New York, hosting dozens of events and programs to grow the public’s understanding of transit.